How Do I Apply to the Occupational Therapy Programs?
2023-2024 Entry-Level Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (MSOT) Application Process
Applications must be submitted to OTCAS as well as the East Carolina University (ECU) Graduate School. The application checklist describes four application steps: (1) Prepare, (2) Complete Virtual Interview, (3) Complete OTCAS Application, and (4) Apply to ECU Graduate School.
- Transcripts: Must be submitted from ALL attended colleges and universities.
- Prerequisite Catalog Course Descriptions: Applicants will compile a list of all prerequisite courses taken, number of semester hours, and term/year taken.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores (code 1989): Quantitative, verbal, and writing scores (highest overall for each section will be used)
- Essay: Applicants will be asked to respond in writing to an essay prompt within the application. This is in addition to the personal statement required by OTCAS.
- Reference Letters: Although OTCAS requires three letters, two will be reviewed for admission. One letter should address the applicant’s academic and/or work performance. The other letter should address character/personality traits such as ethics, teamwork, initiative, communication, critical thinking, reliability, and/or interpersonal skills.
- Recorded Video Interview: This interview will require access to a device with an internet connection and a camera/video recording feature with microphone.
- Resume: Maximum of 2-page resume. A template will not be provided. Please follow the provided outline below for the important experiences to be highlighted.
- Work and/or volunteer experience, including dates and primary responsibilities in positions
- Significant shadowing experiences in health care and/or occupational therapy, including dates and hours, if appropriate
- Awards and/or honors
- Leadership activities and/or organization memberships
- Research experience with descriptions on experiences, interests, readiness (e.g., use of spreadsheets, SPSS/SAS, use of statistics)
2024 Entry-Level Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD) Application Process
This entry-level OTD application process is applicable to ECU MSOT students who have been already admitted to the MSOT program AND have started in the MSOT program. If you are not already in the ECU MSOT program, please see the “Entry-Level Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (MSOT) Application Process” above.
Applications must be submitted to the Director of Admissions in the Department of Occupational Therapy. The following documents must be submitted during Semester 2 (Spring), with the application deadline to be announced:
- OTD Application Grade Summary Form that describes grade summary of all grades and GPA from Semester 1 of the MSOT program
- OTD Application Recommendation Form completed by MSOT faculty advisor
- OTD Application Recommendation Form completed by MSOT research advisor (if different than faculty advisor)
In addition, an interview will be conducted.